Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shinken doesn't work on windows 2008 R2

Shinken doesn't work on windows 2008 R2

Hi,
    I need help, shinken doesn't work on Windows 2008 R2 (running in a VM). Services are running but there are errors in log files and tcp port dont't listen.

I first installed the following components found on different sites
    - python2.3.7.msi
    - pywin32-218.win32-py2.7.exe
    - Pyro4-4.22.tar.gz and then Pyro4-4.12.tar.gz (install 4.22 and then 4.12 with command line "python setup.py install", after unzipping files)
    - ActivePerl-5.16.3.1603-MSWin32-x86-296746.msi
    I also checked .Net 3.5 SP1 is installed

Then execute Shinken_1_4_setup.exe from www.veosoft.net

I read the shinken_10min_start for windows and customize shinken-specific.cfg file. The windows services are started but I noticed that tcp port don't listen (so there is a 503 service unavailable message when I try to access the webUI http://<host_IP_address>:7767), and errors in log files in C:\Program Files (x86)\Shinken\svclogs.

Here is the shinken-broker-output.log (french version of Windows) :
    [1383561217] Info : Shinken 1.4
    [1383561217] Info : Copyright (c) 2009-2011:
    [1383561217] Info : Gabes Jean (naparuba@gmail.com)
    [1383561217] Info : Gerhard Lausser, Gerhard.Lausser@consol.de
    [1383561217] Info : Gregory Starck, g.starck@gmail.com
    [1383561217] Info : Hartmut Goebel, h.goebel@goebel-consult.de
    [1383561217] Info : License: AGPL
    [1383561217] Info : [Broker] Using working directory: C:\PROGRA~2\Shinken\var
    [1383561217] Warning : You can't change user on this system
    [1383561217] Warning : The parallel daemon check is not available on nt
    [1383561217] Info : Initializing Pyro connection with host:172.17.129.189 port:7772 ssl:False
    [1383561217] Critical : I got an unrecoverable error. I have to exit
    [1383561217] Critical : You can log a bug ticket at https://github.com/naparuba/shinken/issues/new to get help
    [1383561217] Critical : Back trace of it: Traceback (most recent call last):
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "C:\PROGRA~2\Shinken\bin\shinken-broker.py", line 80, in <module>
    daemon.main()
    File "C:\PROGRA~2\Shinken\shinken\daemons\brokerda emon.py", line 661, in main
    self.do_daemon_init_and_start()
    File "C:\PROGRA~2\Shinken\shinken\daemon.py&quo t;, line 479, in do_daemon_init_and_start
    self.setup_pyro_daemon()
    File "C:\PROGRA~2\Shinken\shinken\daemon.py&quo t;, line 549, in setup_pyro_daemon
    self.pyro_daemon = pyro.ShinkenPyroDaemon(self.host, self.port, ssl_conf.use_ssl)
    File "C:\PROGRA~2\Shinken\shinken\pyro_wrapper.py& quot;, line 225, in __init__
    raise InvalidWorkDir(e)
    shinken.pyro_wrapper.InvalidWorkDir: serializer 'serpent' is unknown or not available
    File "C:\PROGRA~2\Shinken\shinken\daemons\brokerda emon.py", line 661, in main
    self.do_daemon_init_and_start()
    File "C:\PROGRA~2\Shinken\shinken\daemon.py&quo t;, line 479, in do_daemon_init_and_start
    self.setup_pyro_daemon()
    File "C:\PROGRA~2\Shinken\shinken\daemon.py&quo t;, line 549, in setup_pyro_daemon
    self.pyro_daemon = pyro.ShinkenPyroDaemon(self.host, self.port, ssl_conf.use_ssl)
    File "C:\PROGRA~2\Shinken\shinken\pyro_wrapper.py& quot;, line 225, in __init__
    raise InvalidWorkDir(e)
    InvalidWorkDir: serializer 'serpent' is unknown or not available
    Service Shinken Broker has abnormaly exited !
    Exception thrown in Service Shinken Broker object start : Aucun processus n'est associé à cet objet., stack : à System.Diagnostics.Process.EnsureState(State state)
    à System.Diagnostics.Process.get_HasExited()
    à ShinkenGeneralService.ShinkenSrvObject.Start()
    Service Shinken Broker has abnormaly exited !

Pyro seems to be the first problem, and all services log end with "Service shinken xxxxx has abnormaly exited !"

Thanks in advance if someone can help me.

Re: Shinken doesn't work on windows 2008 R2

hi,

i tested a lot of configurations with 2008. The first step is to use an English version (or MUI, with English settings set). Pyro is not working with shinken above 4.18
    Try to uninstall pyro and delete the files if they are remaining on the file system, the install the 4.12 again. Check if the files are the good one.

regards,
    JFB
    Shinken on Windows helper.
    www.veosoft.net

Hi jean,

I'm facing some difficulties installing shinken 1.4 on windows server 2008 r8 64bit.
    i've followed the steps provided from veosoft.
    Now i can't find how to install pyro 4.14. I'm pretty sure pyro 4.22 is not recommended. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Edited : Hey, i got all the pre requisites installed including pyro4-14. ;D

The only problems left are the checks. All the checks are critical. I got check_wmi_plus installed but the outputs are still critical.
    Regards,
    Arman

hi,

for check_wmi_plus, you have 2 way to run the check, you may define an account in the config file, or you can use a service account if you are in a windows domain. you can follow the doc at :
    http://www.veosoft.net/index.php/en/...-shinken-1-2-4
    it's the same for .4 version - i never find the time to do a specific doc for 1.4... but for the 2.0 i hope that it will be ok.

Did you already try that ?

regards, JFB
    www.veosoft.net

Hi jean,

Thx for replying.

The guide that you mentioned is applicable to localhost? I just did a fresh install on a windows server 2008 r2 64bit. Currently shinken is unable to give positive output on the localhost. All i get is critical and there's no mention on what is wrong.
    Do we need to define domain on the windows server? I cant find domain on my windows server or it seems that my network administrator didnt set up any.

No, for localhost, just use the template and the localhost windows defined file. It may be different from localhost to 127.0.0.1 in the definition, but for me it worked. Just use the window template like :
    define host{
    use windows
    contact_groups admins
    host_name localhost
    address localhost
    }
    if the computer is localhost, it will use the local def in WMIC.exe and use the local credentials of the service (localsystem in most case).
    if you define the real hostname, you have to put the credentials...

Did you try to launch the check manually to see how can be broken ?
    JFB
    www.veosoft.net

Ok. I've tested on the windows command prompt.

Using check_wmi_plus.pl, im getting this output.

Code:
    c:\Program Files (x86)\Shinken\libexec>check_wmi_plus.pl -h
    Can't locate Number/Format.pm in @INC (@INC contains: C:/PROGRA~2/Shinken/libexec C:/Perl64/site/lib C:/Perl64/lib .) at C:\Program Files (x86)\Shinken\libexec\check_wmi_plus.pl line 46.
    BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at C:\Program Files (x86)\Shinken\libexec\check_wmi_plus.pl line 46.
    I already have ActivePerl 5.16.3 Build 1603 (64-bit). Did i miss something else?

hi,
    yes you are missing some files in your perl installation.
    please follow the wiki : http://www.shinken-monitoring.org/wi...plus_onwindows to install the extentions

in your case, you have to install :
    PERL Number::Format
    PERL Config::Inifiles
    PERL DataTime

install that and try again, it should work !
    JFB
    www.veosoft.net

Hey Jean,

I did it!!! You are right about the PERL modules, how did i miss that in the wiki

Anyway there are some checks that's giving "unknown" state. I'm guessing check_wmi takes quite some time to do the checks am i right? Maybe i should configure the nagios.cfg to increase the service check timeout?

Also, the "Visual Studio Just-In-Time Debugger" keeps popping out to debug wmic.

good news !
    For the timing, it could happened when windows takes too long time to grant access for the account if you use a specific account. in some case it was because the network config was not "optimized" but this case will only appears when you use a windows's domain. in your case, is it the "local" checks or check on other computers ? BEWARE, some checks need 2 pass to give values (making temporary values to compute final results)
    which checks are "unknown" ? and can you describe briefly your config and test to see if i can have the same issue on my lab ?

The WMIC use the 2.0 .NET Framework so you have to install it (3.5 SP1 on Win2008 R2 will update 2.0 to the last version). can you send the screenshot of the popup in attachment ? i will take a look on the sources.

regards,
    JFB
    www.veosoft.net