Thread: HA Setup, Retention and Realms

HA Setup, Retention and Realms

Hello,

I've got some questions regarding a "good" HA Setup for shinken with realms.

The situation:

- Location Office, Server A (Reactionner, Scheduler, Poller, Receiver, Broker), the Server B has the same Services as spare
    - Location Datacenter, Servers C (Scheduler, Poller, Receiver) the Server D has the same Services as spare

We've got 3 Datacenter with two Shinken Server and 2 Locations with 1 Shinken Server. Also we've got 10 Shinken Poller with Scheduler, Poller and Receiver.

We are using Realms for configuration, looks fine and works. :-)

If I understood the HA Concept from Shinken right, I need a "Retention DB" for the Scheduler (holds the State, ACK's,Downtimes, etc.). I think MongoDB is a good Choice (I hope! ;-) ). And, if the Scheduler for a Location dies, the standby admin kills me if there are many, many SMS regarding disabled or acknolegded services. ;-)

The MongoDB Wiki says that "old Master-Slave Concept" is deprecated and I may use "Replica Sets". For Replica Sets I need two Members and a Mongo Arbiter OR at least 3 Members. I have for every pair of poller two servers.

Is it correct to use a big MongoDB with 10 Members for the retention? Or should I use an other database for retention?
    I think MongoDB is nice, because the Replica Sets looks nice and the Mongos manage the write requests etc..

Well, the real question:

Is there anybody with a smiliar setup? What are you using?

Thanks for help or reading. :-)

André

Shinken project leader

Re: HA Setup, Retention and Realms

Mongodb is good for this, but 10servers is just overkill. There are few MB writen, so less less you can setup, the better it is
    No direct support by personal message. Please open a thread so everyone can see the solution

Hello,

yes, but, I need for mongo at least 3 servers (2 mongo members and 1 mongo arbiter). I've got 2 servers in every data center and I don't want to involve a "non monitoring server" for this.

The mongo wiki says that the old master slave way is obsolete and I should use replica sets.

What is your way? Master-Slave? Or replica sets with more servers?

André

Shinken project leader

I use the old way, ut use the one that your support will be happy with
    No direct support by personal message. Please open a thread so everyone can see the solution

Ah,

okay.

I test replica sets, with 2 members and without an mongo arbiter. I think there's no difference between master-slave and replica sets with 2 members.

Can I use the same mongodb replica set for retention from scheduler and livestatus logs?

Hi,

I can define a database and a replica set in the module definition.

Looks good, I will test the HA setup later ( <--- really! ;-) ).

Thanks!

[quote author=naparuba link=topic=1055.msg5661#msg5661 date=1379411526]
    I use the old way, ut use the one that your support will be happy with
    [/quote]

Intteresting. Do you have (or is it possible to have) automatic failover with the old way "master-slave replication" of MongoDB ?
    I tried the old way but it seems that there is no automatic failover. So in my experience, the old way (master-slave) just do replication, no failover. I can't find a clue in the documentation.

tOHTor

I visit this page for the first time and I realize that the articles given here are so informative and given article is given here. Please visit the https://aussiessayservices.com/ if you have any questions or quires in your mind about the topic.