Thread: System requirements for Windows installation

System requirements for Windows installation

Can you please tell me what are the system requirements for installing Shinken on Windows OS? like disk space, RAM, etc..

And is there any other software like jdk,.. to be installed prior to or after shinken installation?

Re: System requirements for Windows installation

Hi, the pre-requisites for windows depends of the tasks you will do with shinken. I am preparing a documentation on that, but i am late on a lots of points....
    For a basic usage, i am using Windows 2008 R2, dual core CPU - 2 Ghz, 4 Gbytes RAM, and a free space of 47 Mbytes for the folder installation. In fact it really depends of the number of computer to monitor and how many things you have to check.

To work, you need to install python (python 2.7 not 3.x) -> 76 Mbytes more
    If you use check_wmi_plus you need perl (i am using active perl, strawberry causes issues on non interactive executions) -> 130 Mbytes and some CPAN packages have to be added (see the WIKI for more details)
    .Net 3.5 SP1 must be installed on the server. The services are using the .NET 2.0 and the 3.5 SP1 includes the last 2.0 version. If you are using the arbiter and other components of shinken without services (.CMD) files, .net is not needed, but you will loose the ability to specify an admin account for the services.

This windows version is including check_nt compiled with cygwin, all the dependecies including cygwin specific dll files are in the libexec folder, but warning, some check_xx.exe are compiled but are not working on windows (it's one of the tasks to do...) - it is not really needed if you use check_wmi_pl.

Regards,
    JFB
    Shinken on Windows helper.
    www.veosoft.net

Sorry, i also forget pyro 4-4 and pywin to run shinken...
    www.veosoft.net

Thanks JFB.

We are looking for a free tool to monitor our servers approx 15 which we use within our organization.

Windows based servers, AD, Exchange server, database - SQL Server and Oracle.

Requirement is to have a visibility of our servers and applications and report of key metrics like disk space, load availability, services, etc.. IIS, DB,..

Alerts and messages should be helpful for the engineers and Reports easily understood by the management.

Guidance is appreciated.

[Solved]Re: System requirements for Windows installation

Thanks

Hi, and sorry for the delay, i am performing the 1.2.4 port for windows and fixing some small issues.

For windows, you can find a lots of templates for OS (Disk, CPU, SWAP...)and services (IIS, EXCHANGE). All the features can be found in packs folder. If you create a host or service and set the use part with windows or the service you have to check, it will automaticly check the good things.
    All of that is based on check_wmi_plus software.

At this time, one issue is not fixed - the host-alive, but i am working on it. After that i will publish the 1.2.4 with a changed version of check_wmi_plus to fix the check_swap command - the creator of check_wmi_plus is already notified to fix it in the next version.

When you are asking guidance, what do you mean exactly ? Documentations, support ?
    The WIKI is a lot of amount of information actually and Veosoft will publish more documentations and video for shinken on windows in the future, and be sure we are doing our best with the time we have.

Regards,
    Jean-Francois BUTKIEWICZ
    www.veosoft.net

Need help on commands to check Disk, Load,.. of hosts -

Commands like check_local_disks, check_local_load, check_local_mem and check_local_swap provide info about the localhost (my server on which shinken is installed).

But I want exactly these info about the other servers on my network. Added hosts configs but not sure what command to provide in windows_local!

Server is Win 2K8 R2 64 bit.

Shinken project leader

all _local_* checks will be removed from future installations, because :
    * they are linux only
    * they are just for the local host, this is stupid. The localhost should be monitor like all other linux/windows. That's all. We just don't care about it to be "local".

For windows, use the windows template that use the check_wmi_plus.pl plugin. will give you all you want about windows information.
    No direct support by personal message. Please open a thread so everyone can see the solution