Thread: BSD Support

BSD Support

Hey folks,

I attempted to install Shinken on a FreeBSD machine, and it complained about missing lsb, so I opened up the install script, and it's super linux oriented, even though the download says for all OS and the wiki page says UNIX.

Before I rewrite the install script to be BSD friendly, is there already an effort underway to create a more BSD friendly installer? Searching the forum, wiki, and even google-fu have lead me nowhere.

-CWS

Administrator

Re: BSD Support

Hello CWS,

To my knowledge there is no effort under way to modify the install script or system to run under BSD.

Go ahead, I am sure the team will be receptive to your enhancements.

Also if you see things that can be improved, feel free to send in seperate pull requests so they can be added independantly from the BSD enhancements. Less changes per pull requests are a good thing. :-)

Welcome to the Shinken community.

xkilian
    .. Who is doing Splunk and OSSEC fu at the moment.

Thanks, xkillian.

Other than the install script, is there any reason to believe it wouldn't work on any UNIX or UNIX-link OS that runs a relatively modern version of Python?

Administrator

The main things are:

Pyro
    Python 2.6+
    Shinken itself
    Nagios plugins

They should be the same version on each host where Shinken is installed. You may need to keep an eye on how Shinken calls shell scripts when using plugins, reactionner actions, etc. This is regardless of the Linux version, there are some issues being debated on how to handle the shell environment. Otherwise, Shinken is pretty self-contained being an all python system. (With exception to WebUI components which use web technologies. (JS, etc.))

Cheers,

xkilian

Yes you can uncompress into /usr/local/ and install python2.7, pyro and nagios-plugins.
    I use it and works nicely

BTW may be the time to create an installer under bsd .... david durieux is it a good idea or may be a port is better ?

Port is better idea, all dependencies are managed easily with port