Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Unexpected notifications about dependent hosts

Re: Unexpected notifications about dependent hosts

I just added a "check_command" line to all hosts definitions and it is working as expected now: I only receive notifications about the root cause.

Reading again the host object wiki page, I could easily find that check_command is mandatory to Shinken be able to raise an "unreachable" state. And it takes just a little bit of logic to relate it to dependencies. Other pages that explain how to setup network dependencies don't tell that "check_command" must be defined in order to Shinken notify only about root causes:
    http://www.shinken-monitoring.org/wi...rkreachability
    http://www.shinken-monitoring.org/wi...ies_in_shinken

As "check_command" is an optional directive in a host definition, maybe it would be useful (to Shinken newbies as me) to add a note there.

Thank you very much for your help!

Administrator

I added some notes in the documentation.

Thanks for your time.

xkilian

Great! Thanks again.

One of the benefits of using the template-based config file format is that you can create object definitions that have some of their properties inherited from other object definitions. The notion of object inheritence, along with documentation on how to do it, is described here. I strongly suggest that you familiarize yourself with object inheritence once you read over the documentation presented below, as inheritence will make the job of creating and maintaining object definitions much easier than it otherwise would be.