Thread: Got "SNMP Request error: Request timed out or bad community" using SNMPBooster

Got "SNMP Request error: Request timed out or bad community" using SNMPBooster

Hi,
    I'm trying to monitor an HP ProCurve 1810G - 24 GE switch and a MikroTik RB750GL switch using SNMPBooster, but I get "SNMP Request error: Request timed out or bad community" error in both cases.

I don't see errors in var/*.log files.
    I monitored traffic with wireshark and I see "getBulkRequest" and corresponding "get-response" packets.

Could you help me?

Shinken 1.2.2
    genDevConfig 3.0.4

Regards

Administrator

Re: Got "SNMP Request error: Request timed out or bad community" using SNMPBooster

Hello,

- Is the answer taking longer than 5 seconds
    - Does the get-response actually contain data or an error message
    - Try running the poller in debug mode and do a grep SnmpBooster on the log file to extract the log data.

Thank you,

xkilian

Re: Got "SNMP Request error: Request timed out or bad community" using SNMPBooster

Hi xkilian,

Thanks for your answer. I append a tcpdump capture of the traffic. Extracted data from the log files and also .cfg files with the configuration, so you can review them.

Administrator

Hi rrueda,

1 - Seems the switch is responding too slow and Shinken SnmpBooster has already closed the TCP port. This happens once in a while in your trace file. These are the ICMP messages in the trace file. But some of the requests do return in time, so Shinken should in theory be somewhat happy. Timeout is 5 seconds, you can increase it to 10 in the snmp_poller.py file if you wish. This is unfortunately not a configurable option yet.

2 - Why do you have active_checks_enabled set to 0?? This should be 1

3 - What are your check commands related to SnmpBooster

4 - Data seems to be returned but SnmpBooster is not happy with the data… Hmm. I will get back to you on additionnal debug output to get.

Nothing jumps out at me that is overtly wrong, other than some requests taking too long.

Cheers,

xkilian

Hi skilian,

active_checks_enabled was set to 0 because genDevConfig generated that way.
    I change it to 1 and I change snmp_poller.py line 724 to:
    self.timeout = 10

restarted shinken and now is working.

Thanks

Administrator

Ahhhrrgg! Doh!

Thanks for bearing with me. Glad to see it is working.

I am a little surprised to see that Shinken was polling the data, but then discarding it as due to being not actively checked, doesn't make sense. I will see with the other Shinken developers what the deal is.

I will fix genDevconfig to create appropriate configuration files.

Thank you for the excellent data in reporting your problem, if all users were like you (and previous one I helped, which I can't remember his nick). It would be so easy. :-)

Have a good one. Let me know any improvements you would like to see. :-)

Cheers

xkilian

Your local snmp monitoring pusher

Administrator

Okay,

it seems that your chassis service was being recognized as a generic chassis and collection should be disabled using active_checks_enabled 0.

I disabled the option active_checks_enabled in github, I will tag the 3.0.5 release later tonight.

Thanks.

xkilian