Thread: Read First!

Shinken project leader

Read First!

Hi,

So you want to use Centreon? It's a very good interface with configuration part, but from now, the link with Shinken is not easy and you will not be able to use all Shinken power :-\

If you still want so, you MUST have a already working Shinken installation before linking it to Centreon of course. It's you Shinken is not working, look at the installation forum

The Centreon configuration is not so hard. For this, you need to read the installation documentation available HERE.

If you follow it and you got some troubles, then you can post here, we will be glad to help you ;D
    No direct support by personal message. Please open a thread so everyone can see the solution

Re: Read First!

Ok, dumb question (well, maybe not so dumb because I'm asking )

The doc's quote above say All you need is the following Broker modules :
    • [li]NDO/MySQL [/li]
      [li]Simple log [/li]
      [li]Flat file perfdata[/li]

Does that mean we install all 3, or just one of these? (I believe the docs imply all 3, but they seem to be doing the same thing, not that I know Nagios well).

We will (almost) always have an Oracle database present, so MySQL seems a little odd, although our purpose is to monitor the Oracle database, so maybe it's a good idea to use MySQL so we can continue to log if Oracle is down

== John ==

Hi,

I think you need to load at least Simple log and Service / Host Perfdata module. Simple-Log will create the nagios.log file and perfdata the flat file.
    I'm pretty sure that Centreon needs those file to work. For the NDO, maybe you can replace it by the ToNdodb_Oracle module
    If you don't like english and want some help with Shinken, feel free to register to the French Monitoring Community !

Shinken project leader

Hi,

In fact the three are need to get a Full Centreon working. And Centreon do not manage Oracle database, only mysql one
    No direct support by personal message. Please open a thread so everyone can see the solution

Thanks guys!

So Centreon manags the MySQL? I don't have to worry about things like tablespace checks and the like?

== John ==

Shinken project leader

Hi,

No, you still need to monitor your mysql database for the availability. But the Centreon "daemons" keep only one or 2 years of data, so if you got enough space, you won't have problem with tablespaces

Some Go will be good. Here is an example of a 2 year monitoring mysql space for 7K services :
    25G centronods
    7.0G centstorage
    338M ndo

You can choose to keep only one year for centonods if you want (it's only used to re-generate flat RRD files if you lsot them, so ion fact you can even forget this database).