Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [CLOSED] Ninja configuration

[CLOSED] Ninja configuration

Hi all,

I would like to know how did you configure your ninja.
    'Cause i still have an error message saying "Service checks and notifications are disabled" (I'm pretty sure they're not) and I can't access to the "View config"

my nagios.cfg:
    execute_service_checks=1
    execute_host_checks=1

I think the problem comes from the following parameters of config.php

$config['nagios_base_path'] = '';
    $config['nagios_etc_path'] = '';

Thanks for your help,
    Sam

Re: Ninja configuration

No, I don't think this is a problem of the missing configuration paths.

The problem is that the merlindb broker does not observe the notifications_enabled and the active_service_checks_enabled columns and Ninja needs this two values ... (If you want to test it you can stop the shinken broker and add the required values -> 1 by hand)

You can ask Jean, if he could modify the broker ... or you can finde a workaround e.g add a default value to the column (on sql layer)

Thank you Frescha,

I'll try that.

DROP TABLE IF EXISTS program_status;
    CREATE TABLE program_status(
    notifications_enabled tinyint(2), default '1'
    active_service_checks_enabled tinyint(2), default '1'

Will it work ? this value won't be overwritten ?
    So this ninja's "monitoring feature" is not used by Shinken at the moment.

This could work. I would Test it but i don't have any Test env. here sry.

And be sure you have a Backup

It's a test environment (vm) so don't worry ;D

By the way, i sent a mp to Jean. Hope he'll have an idea

Hi,

I tried to force the value manually, but it doesn't work either. It's immediately overwritten (by ninja probably).

Code:
    mysql> select instance_id,instance_name, active_service_checks_enabled, notifications_enabled from program_status;
    +-------------+---------------+-------------------------------+-----------------------+
    | instance_id | instance_name | active_service_checks_enabled | notifications_enabled |
    +-------------+---------------+-------------------------------+-----------------------+
    |      0 | NULL     |             NULL |         NULL |
    1 row in set (0.03 sec)

mysql> update program_status set active_service_checks_enabled='1', notifications_enabled='1';Query OK, 1 row affected (0.00 sec)
    Rows matched: 1 Changed: 1 Warnings: 0

mysql> select instance_id,instance_name, active_service_checks_enabled, notifications_enabled from program_status;
    | instance_id | instance_name | active_service_checks_enabled | notifications_enabled |
    |      0 | NULL     |               1 |           1 |
    1 row in set (0.00 sec)

|      0 | NULL     |             NULL |         NULL |
    1 row in set (0.00 sec)

I've read in the roadmap :

"
    (Guilty Gecko)
    Better Ninja UI support (reporting part) and lot of tutorials.
    "

Maybe it will solve my problem too ?..

I just have to wait ...

FYi there are some more open feature requests for the merlindb broker.

http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/shinken/ticket/252
    http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/shinken/ticket/253

Thanks Frescha for these info.

I've got another one : A web interface for shinken is currently developped. I'm wondering what will be the features ....
    In french : http://linuxfr.org/news/quelques-brè...la-supervision

I guess there's a lot of work to get a Ninja fully working with shinken ( View Config, Event log ...)

Shinken project leader

Hi

Yes, I'm quite busy with Fresha about the new Shinken UI

In fact the UI creation was not planned at the Shinken project starting. It was even a "stop" by myself to avoid it if possible. So we focused on the core, and now we got a quite good one with all we were dreaming (ok, not a Merlin/Ninja perfect module it's true, but it was because until some months, no one ask us it ).

So we add new "things" in monitoring, more important than just easy scaling and a cool name ;D
    The main thing we added and that is not enough "shown" in all UI is the business impact (criticity) and root problem/impact (correlation) analysis. If you looked at all current UIs "in the market", all are given the same data, with a view by host, one by service, anotehr for hostgroups or servicegroups.

They are perfect views for "operators" that need to look at every thing, solve what they can and give the problem to higher level after. But for today admins or admin bosses, they are not efficient views. They don't care about host/services differences, they just want :
    * (for boss) what are my main prod apps in warning/critical (and only them! don't want to see qualification or devel), and WTF are they down? (so sort by criticity about main impacts)
    * (for admins) what are the IT elements that are causing the more (business) troubles, and so must be fixed NOW (NOW is what the boss want of course ). So it's the total opposite of the boss (root problem sorted by impact business impact/criticity).

That what we are trying to do in this UI. It was not for making the views we got since 10years with a new CSS style. It's in the UI core that there is "new things". Things that we added in the core from now one year, and nearly no UI added it like we want, so we are getting our out keyboards and we are developping an UI like we want it to be. Maybe we are totally wrong, but whatever, we are trying to give admins something that will make their like better, so say them "hey guy/girl, this switch impact a lot of production app, maybe you should fix it?" ;D

We will of course need a lot of testers, so if you want to help to code, mockup page or just test it, just say it, we take all help
    No direct support by personal message. Please open a thread so everyone can see the solution