Thread: Satellite deployment

Satellite deployment

Hello,

Trying the trunk I've seen that the new recommended install method is via the ./install script.
    But it's not tailored to install on a satellite, or I'm missing something

I've launched this :
    Code:
    TARGET="/usr/bin/shinken" ETC="/etc/shinken" ./install -i -e 'scheduler poller' -p 'nagios-plugins check_mem'
    Now I've found myself with a "bloated" install (mongo, mysql libs etc...) with the 3/4 of it not useful for a satellite. Besides it's launching the whole shinken process instead of the two specified with '-e'.
    Not installing in /usr/bin but in /usr/bin/shinken cuz the install script failed on "Dir already exists".

My satellites are running on small ARM devices, with 512MB of nand... so it is a problem.
    Also, there is no way to make it install in /var like it should be. (/var/log/shinken , /var/lib/shinken... etc)

1/ What I'd like to know is how to obtain the same behavior as the "old" clean install way with 'setup.py install --install-scripts="/usr/bin"'

2/ And another question, about the deployment itself, do you guys use something to deploy the same version on a few dozens satellites or do you just make a pass on each device to clean/install/restore ?
    I've found that Salt (http://saltstack.org/) could be a good idea to do this type of operations (no ruby(chef, puppet), no complexity (cfengine3)).

If someone got examples of deploying the same version on all satellites via a configuration manager I'm all ears (in fact eyes)

3/ The last of my question is about the Pypi repo, it's not updated since the 0.8 is that normal ? will it be updated again ?

Thanks for your time.

Administrator

Re: Satellite deployment

You can still use setup.py, it will just not install any plugins or major dependancies for the heart of the solution. (MongoDB, memcached, etc.)

We have work done using puppet for preparing test servers in our environments.

I am not familiar with Salt, will take a look at it.

Cheers,

xkilian

Thank you xkilian, totally OT but I'd be glad to have your opinion on Salt.

Hi,

satellite installation through ./install could be quite nice, with only core shinken, only scheduler/poller enabled at startup, and plugins.

With sensible defaults and the option to override these defaults (only poller for instance), this could be a quick and very nice way to deploy remote pollers ;-)

Administrator

If you want to use the script try to split calls.

from
    ./install -i -e 'scheduler poller' -p 'nagios-plugins check_mem'
    to
    ./install -i && ./install -e 'scheduler poller' && ./install -p 'nagios-plugins check_mem'

[quote author=Seb-Solon link=topic=519.msg3738#msg3738 date=1352895963]
    If you want to use the script try to split calls.

from
    ./install -i -e 'scheduler poller' -p 'nagios-plugins check_mem'
    to
    ./install -i && ./install -e 'scheduler poller' && ./install -p 'nagios-plugins check_mem'
    [/quote]

this stills installs mongo

Administrator

Yup, it was for the -e. For prerequisites, jsute set the variable to 1 and launch the script (look at the shinken.conf for the name)

[quote author=Seb-Solon link=topic=519.msg3750#msg3750 date=1352967511]
    Yup, it was for the -e. For prerequisites, jsute set the variable to 1 and launch the script (look at the shinken.conf for the name)
    [/quote]

thanks, SKIPPREREQUISITES seems to handle perfectly this task

for a simple satellite setup, ie without MongoDB but with a rather standard Shinken tree (letting install take care of python deps), my installation method is :

Code:
    NOMONGO=1 ./install -i
    then plugins

Code:
    ./install -p check_esx3 ; ./install -p nagios-plugins ; ./install -p check_mysql_health ; ./install -p manubulon ; ./install -p check_hpasm
    and then daemon enabling/disabling :

Code:
     ./install -e "poller"

The deployment is sensing one person from one place to another place with the frame and logic of the mind as well. The letter is based on the whole link of www.essayontime.com.au with the satellite deployment technology by the topic generation.