Thread: computed / combined check results

computed / combined check results

Hi

I've got the following situation: We have two apache balancers in proxy mode. Each of them is part of a cluster setup (iptables clusterip with hashmode=sourceip). These two balancers are in front of eight apache backend servers.
    Four of those backend apaches are always in standby mode, so we need to make sure that both balancers are pointing to the same set of backends.

Question is: Can this be implemented with the standard check_http plugin and maybe a combination with one ore more business rules?

I am thinking of checking against the balancer-manager interface of apache and parsing the output of it to see which backends are enabled.
    check_http has a fancy regex option, but I only get the view of one of the balancers; not the combined view.

Say I check balancer1 and get:
    ENABLED backends: 1, 2, 3, 4
    DISABLED backends: 5, 6, 7, 8

Then I check balancer2 and get
    ENABLED backends: 1, 2, 3,
    DISABLED backends: 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

This should then produce a CRITICAL state in sum, because the set of enabled backends is not the same across the balancers.

I have no idea how I could do this checking with the standard http plugin and one ore more business rules.

I fear that this is only possible by writing my own plugin code, which is not the problem. I just haven't done so yet, because with every such own plugin, some dependency information gets lost, and is not visible to the shinken internal logic. And thus one cannot profit of the mechanism that shinken provides. E.g. visualising dependencies etc.

Thanks in advance
    Timo

Administrator

Re: computed / combined check results

Shinken triggers should be able to help you with this.

bp_rules act on the state of services as they are returned by a check.

So if you want to act on the data returned by the check, you will need to use triggers. The state of this feature can be answered by Nap, this feature is planned for release in version 1.2.

It comes down to what you need. You can modify the check or use the centralized method. It depends on if you are a developper or not. ;-)

X

Re: computed / combined check results

Hello xkillian,

thanks for your reply!

I found the wiki page according to triggers and they really seem to be able to help me at least to a certain degree.
    But I must admit, definition of them is a little too pythonic for me to understand the whole.
    I think, it will become clearer as soon as I try some of those triggers out and apply them in a test env.

From that beeing said, you can imagine that I am not a big developer. Still trying to get better with Python.

Timo