Thread: Incremental counter alerts

Incremental counter alerts

Hi,

There are 2 types of values that should be measured using plugins:
    - absolute values - a number that gives the current state of a property (ex: how full a disk is as a percent)
    - incremental counters - a number that is incremented forever (ex: number of requests since the server was started)
    Is there a method to monitor a service with a plugin that returns incremental data, for example number of requests since the server was started and to trigger an alert if the number of requests is bigger then 10000 in the last 10 minutes ? I mean is it possible to configure Shinken to trigger alerts based on the last 10 checks(assuming that the checks are done every minute) ? Or the plugin should do the alert as usual ?

Shinken project leader

Re: Incremental counter alerts

From now it's up to the plugin to do the job. The only thing you can use is the $LASTPERFDATA$ macros that be used to give previous data to the new launch
    No direct support by personal message. Please open a thread so everyone can see the solution

Is $LASTPERFDATA$ the same with $SERVICEPERFDATA$ ? Because on http://www.shinken-monitoring.org/wi...sics-macrolist I can't find $LASTPERFDATA$.

Shinken project leader

In fact LASTSERVICEPERFDATA is the perfdata return by the last call. The SERVICEPERFDATA is the current value. So you got 2 hop behind in fact
    No direct support by personal message. Please open a thread so everyone can see the solution

Thanks! But I guess this doesn't work for NRPE checks ? I mean if I pass arguments as $LASTPERFDATA$ to the NRPE commands there is a security risk and I don't want this.

Shinken project leader

Yes, for nrpe there is no good way. We can't give it data, so the only solution is "on site data storage", like with a local sqlite db.