Thread: TSCA -- Passive checks in a HA architecture

TSCA -- Passive checks in a HA architecture

hi,

There is a TSCA module in the shinken-specific conf file.
    What is it ? I can't the doc on it.

Still working on my HA/Distributed POC for my customer, I'm now thinking about the few passive checks they have.

The only solution to handle HA with NSCA is to send the nsca message to both receiver : active and spare. I think the spare will drop the message. Will it ?
    Is there any other way ?

Shinken project leader

Re: TSCA -- Passive checks in a HA architecture

TSCA won't help here I think, but maybe I'm wrong, I don't really know this part.

The spare should not drop the data, the arbiter take broks from all alive daemons, not just active ones. Spare is not really useful fro receivers (it's a bit like pollers).

The best way is with an IPVS between the active and passive I think. It's a singe TCP port with no sessions or something like it, it's quite the easier case of load balancing
    No direct support by personal message. Please open a thread so everyone can see the solution

One of the big features of shinken is to avoid the need for Third party softwares to handle HA, and load-balancing.
    If I tell the customer that I need IPVS, he could answer, "then why not the whole package : DRBD, corosync, ... and stay with centreon."

Shinken project leader

So you need to have a nsca-like client that known about the different "servers", but current implementations are not able to do it from now.
    No direct support by personal message. Please open a thread so everyone can see the solution

Administrator

Hello Hawkmoon,

Older thread, but I think the answer will be of interest.

NSCAweb supports, failover to backup servers and a host of other features. Bulk updates, HTTP(S), multiple servers (failover or load-balacing), etc.

There is no NSCAweb Shinken module. But the code is python, and can probably be integrated with little effort. There is already a NSCA Shinken receiver module to use as a starting point!

I hope your proof of concept worked out.

X