Thread: Service Check Timed Out

Service Check Timed Out

Hello All,

I have a little problem with the monitoring of Vmware. The plugins check_esx3.pl work fine alone and in Shinken it work but not always. I have sometimes a timeout and it's really randomlly.

I have the problem with the 0.8 shinken.
    I have installed the new version of shinken 1.0 and I have the same problem.

In /var/lib/shinken/nagios.log, I have this kind of message :

Code:
    [1330678307] SERVICE ALERT: vcenter;Mem;UNKNOWN;SOFT;1;(Service Check Timed Out)
    [1330678381] SERVICE ALERT: esx2;Io Write Esx;UNKNOWN;HARD;2;(Service Check Timed Out)
    [1330678381] SERVICE ALERT: vcenter;Mem;UNKNOWN;HARD;2;(Service Check Timed Out)
    If I recheck the service it works most of times but sometimes it goes on service check timed out again.

And the strange thing is I didn't have a time out with another command (nrpe etc..).

I don't know if it's the plugins problem (internal time out) or the timeout of shinken which cause this problem.

Another thing is my hosts have a template with a notification for unknown but he didn't send a mail.

I have a retention module : Redis and i try without it but the problem is always here.

Do you have any kind of idea ?

Shinken project leader

Re: Service Check Timed Out

This check is maybe the heavier you can launch. Maybe there are just too much parallel launchs, so your server is overload for more than 10s, and you loose

I think you can try with increasing the service_timeout parameter in the nagios.cfg file, because here it seems that it's Shinken taht is killing the too long check_esx3.pl launchs.
    No direct support by personal message. Please open a thread so everyone can see the solution

The VMWare API or the plugins (developped by OP5, i think) has load issues.
    The quickly eat up all the CPU available.
    I think a (or 2) dedicated poller is recommanded.

Shinken project leader

Yes. This check is a nightmare. In production I've got a poller dedicated to this check (the command is tag with a poller_tag).
    No direct support by personal message. Please open a thread so everyone can see the solution

yes you were right, This check is really a nightmare.
    I try to increasing the service_timeaout parameter but if it is to hight shinken doesn't work properly for all other check.
    I try to dedicate one poller to it but this doesn't seems to work. Strangely, I have more time out with a dedicate poller than with two pollers.

By the way ,is there a way to received an email when one poller/scheduler is down ?

PS : shinken is really sensitive concerning the poller. It's strange because when I set up a secondary poller, I can't make it work properly until I use exactly the same installation file although I have exactly the same version of Shinken (I have an alert wich says there is no compatible protocol).

Another thing, could youb please exmplain me what does the vmware_arbiter_module ? I don't understand if I need this or not.

Shinken project leader

You can give a look at the check_shinken.py in the source libexec directory

For vmware_arbiter_module, it will look at a vSphere server for links between VM and ESX, and automatically create dependencies.

For the protocol version, you must have the same python/shinken/pyro lib versions, or you will have strange effects