Thread: Migration from Nagios to Shinken with Centreon UI

Migration from Nagios to Shinken with Centreon UI

Hi everybody,

I have a running enviroment with Centreon 2.1.12 and Nagios 3.2.3. Now I want to change nagios to shinken. Is there a documentation available how to migrate nagios to shinken?

Thanks in advance.

Shinken project leader

Re: Migration from Nagios to Shinken with Centreon UI

Yes, it's in the Centreon board : http://www.shinken-monitoring.org/fo...topic,6.0.html ;D

Jean
    No direct support by personal message. Please open a thread so everyone can see the solution

Hi Jean,

thanks for your reply. I already found this post and also the documentation how to install shinken. But now my problem is how to migrate the configs from nagios to shinken and tell centreon which files to write if I do some changes over the webUI.

Administrator

Hi,
    Nagios configs are working with shinken but you may have some warnings in your nagios.log
    If you've already read the documentation I think you've already rename your scheduler as default. You may also have already configured modules in the shinken-specifig.cfg
    If you don't have done it yet, those are the only changes you have to do
    Shinken will write in the service-perfdata file after restarting

Hi, yes i changed the scheduler name to default. But unfortunately centreon won't write some changes to the files located in /etc/shinken. So I still need the /usr/local/nagios/ directory and its subdirectories? I there no documentation which files have to be customized to migrate from nagios to shinken?

Shinken project leader

IN fact the point is to make shinken use tour /usr/local/nagios/etc as is etc home. It can be done in the /etc/defaults/shinken file by changing the etc var.

You will need to also copy/paste all *d/ini files from /etc/shinken to this etc home, and the shinken-specific.cfg file too.

Then the nagios.cfg and all other "classic" files will be created by Centreon, and used by Shinken at startup.
    No direct support by personal message. Please open a thread so everyone can see the solution

Hi Jean,

thank you very much for your help. Monitoring is working properly but unfortunately I cannot generate configuration files from the Centreon UI. I got the error "Error Invalid object definition type 'module' in file '/usr/local/centreon/filesGeneration/nagiosCFG/2/shinkenBroker.cfg' on line 18."

I changed centreon to 2.2.1 so now I'm able to select the nagios engine. I changed on every configuration page the engine to shinken and also to use the shinken user and group.

Maybe you have some experience how to setup centreon with shinken?

Shinken project leader

In fact my Centreon do not even know that a Shinken is under it ;D

The module generation from Centreon is not finished. You generate the module, but it's not linked, so from now, the best way is still to get the shinken-specific.cfg configuration file written as a flat file, and not use the "Shinken backend".

Hi,

thanks for your help. So the centreon guys have to do some work that centreon fully supports shinken right?

Shinken project leader

Yes. In fact it will be not so easy for us : they forked Nagios core into a centreon engine. And in the FAQ of this new fork, they talk about Shinken but it's a big not clear : they say it can be the future but it's not mature and wait the 1.0 shinken version for an advanced support, but in the same time they say that with the new core they want to prove that this code can be an alternative with all features in the future. So?

From now Shinken is in a stabilization phase to the 1.0 (for the end of the year I think, maybe a bit earlier), and then we will see where the centreon engine is, where the Shinken community is too and where centreon want to do. We will also got more time to help them too for including cool Shinken features

I don't think the new core can reach Shinken in so few months, but it's a personal thought, and maybe I'm totally wrong :-X

What we can do from now is to propose the best way for Centreon users to bypass its limitation and use the full Shinken power ;D