Thread: Monitoring backups

Monitoring backups

Hi,

I tried to install Shinken 2 times in the past, but failed (I just followed what was written on the website, but this failed. I don't remember why).
    I'd like to re-test it so you probably see another post soon

My first goal is to monitor my backups.
    My current method allow me to monitor about 10000 backup events each year, scattered over 40 remote sites.
    I currently use home-made PHP pages. After each backup, a script send the result as a wget query to my PHP pages. Some backup softwares are proprietary and can only send emails, so I added the option to be updated by email.
    Each morning I connect to my PHP pages and see a column of green/yellow/red lights.
    If a script did not make contact since more than x hours, and/or inside a time slot, this is a red light.
    I also have history.

I hope I'm clear enough.

I think Shinken can do this, but I prefer to ask to seasoned people first.

--> can Shinken approximately do that ?

- being updated by a script: I know this is okay.
    - being updated by email: at last resort I can use a home-made solution to convert emails to wget
    - time slots: okay, but can I set several mandatory time slots for one source ? eg. two backups each day for one server
    - the error codes I currently use contains valuable informations, for example a text for the reason of the error: can Shinken handle this ?

Seems this is finally not possible with Shinken.

Anyone has a software suggestion for that ?

Hi,
    we use passive services updated with NSCA: http://www.shinken-monitoring.org/wi..._daemon_module

Our scripts send their result to Shinken with detailled output if needed. To be sure services are up to date, I have defined the service variable "freshness_threshold" to launch a command who switch the service in warning status.

Exemple of service:
    Code:
    define service {
    	host_name                      	MYHOST
    	service_description            	MYSERVICE
    	check_command               	no-nsca-report!1!'service not updated since 24h'
    	active_checks_enabled      	0
    	passive_checks_enabled   	1
    	check_freshness              	1
    	freshness_threshold          	86400
    	contact_groups                 	admins
    	name                           	service_desc
    	register                       	1
    }

The "no-nsca-report" command:
    Code:
    echo "$HOSTADDRESS$:$SERVICEDESC$:$ARG1$:$ARG2$" | /usr/local/bin/send_nsca -H SHINKEN_HOST -p 5667 -to 60 -d ":" -c /etc/nagios/send_nsca.cfg

I hope this use case will be usefull.

There are many fake methods also available on many sites that are fake too and so sad to say they troubles a lot and also wastes the time and you can follow customessayorder.com reviews to learn more and more new ideas. On the other hand there are real too so you must use them having the positive feedback.