Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] Oracle - ServicePack

[RESOLVED] Oracle - ServicePack

I┤m playing around with shinken an wanted to use the provided service pack for oracle. I just intslled shinken with the alternative-installation/shinken-install: ./shinken_all.sh script.

The sample configuration is working fine on my localhost. Now i added my Oracle Host in: /usr/local/shinken/etc/packs/databases/oracle/orahost.cfg:

Code:
    define host{
       use       oracle,linux
       host_name   OraTest
       address     OraTest
       _databases   TestDB 
     }
    The host checks from the linux template are working fine but the oracle template is not working. But there is no Oracle check appended to the Host. Do i have to configure more ? Because i just defined the Host and told him to use the oracle template?

Thanks

Shinken project leader

Re: Oracle - ServicePack

Yes, it should work even if it's a work in progress ;D

Just a detail : it's better to do not put this host in the oracle directory, it's for service packs, I think it's better to put them all in the etc/hosts one instead

I give it a test
    No direct support by personal message. Please open a thread so everyone can see the solution

Shinken project leader

I forgot, can you give the a sample .cfg file of the services directory of the oracle service pack templates? (there was an error with name->service_description in theses services, so if your version is more than 1week old, it can be this).
    No direct support by personal message. Please open a thread so everyone can see the solution

caution the script is a work in progress and does not work well at this time
    use shinken.sh instead

./shinken.sh -i && ./shinken.sh -p nagios-plugins && ./shinken.sh -p check_oracle_health

this will install shinken nagios-plugins and check_oracle_health (but you must install oracle instant client first)

Thanks for reply

check_oracle_health and oracle instant client was already installed. finally i got it maneged with installing a new version of the pack files from git

Just a short offtopic question here:

I saw new skonf files on github. Is it possible to get it working partly? I just like to sneak a peek. Even if it is not working but i really like to get an impression?

Thanks guys ;D

Shinken project leader

Yes but it's very very beta and ... ugly
    But it show the "spirit" behind it.

You will need a mongodb database (it's where we will save host definitions, it's easier and more flexible than mysql, and it's easy to setup HA setups ) :
    sudo apt-get install mongodb-server
    sudo /etc/init.d/mongodb start
    (I'm not sure about the package and service names).

For Skonf, be sure to get a yesterday version (I'm working on it, so there is news every day in this part ). To launch it :

as the shinken user :
    ./bin/shinken-skonf -c etc/skonf.cfg
    (it will launch as a direct process, not a real daemon).

Then you can connect on the URL : http://localhost:7766/

The main page is quite void, the only part that is "nearly" working is /newhosts

The workflow is :
    * /newhosts : put in the textdata the name or ip range for a nmap scan, and choose which "discovery" script to use (nmap and/or vmware)
    * the next page will launch a discovery process, like the bin/shinken-discovery does (same code in fact ), so launch nmap, apply service pack discovery rules (look for linux, windows, http, etc etc).
    * it save all detected hosts in the mongodb database in a pending databases
    * the /newhosts/results page show the scan states (in progress/done) and the detected hosts with their "tags" (templates)

That's all from now

I'm working on the tag management (add/remove tags), and the host saving process (so take from the pending table to a final one).

Then we will add a mongodb module for the Arbiter to read theses hosts, and we will be ok for a first version.

The idea is to give "non-monitoring admins" an easy way to add new hosts without knowing what a service or a timeperiod is. They will just get "tags" (nagios templates, with a bit more flexibility) and add them. Then the "monitoring admin" that know what a service, a contact or a timeperiod is can prepare tags with service packs and discovery rules so the others can easily add new hosts

The skonfV2 will be with a part for the monitoring admin, so he can manage service packs and others objects

nice ;D

sorry for late reply here on that topic

I got Skonf running without any problems! Thanks for the little Tutorial about it, i┤m really looking forward to skonfV2...

Your are doing a really great work! Shinken is my blinking star on the monitoring sky :-*

Also the WebUI has a great look and feel, but there are also some small things missing (like user permissions, user defined views...) for using it in my production environment. But the time for shinken will come

Shinken project leader

Thanks

for the ACL, the 1.0 version will come with a first version of it : you will only see problems/impacts where your contact is related. For the "user view", we are also working on a dashboard view, but will be for the 1.2 version

Re: [RESOLVED] Oracle - ServicePack

First I'm sorry to post in this "SOLVE" topic. But it didn't gave me a good solution to solve the same problem. :-[ (however as usually, i think the solution is near me..)

I use the default [glow=black,2,300]./etc/packs/databases/oracle[/glow] from [glow=red,2,300]shinken-1.0.1[/glow]
    Instant client && perl DBD-oracle && check_oracle_health are correctly installed on my Centos 5.8

check_oracle_health works fine as tried manually.

Also, i've already try to update ./etc/packs/database/oracle to the lastest version published in git.

No services are created by the template on shinken restarts. :'(

Here is my host definition in [glow=black,2,300]/usr/local/shinken/etc/hosts/myRealm1/myHostName.cfg[/glow]:
    Code:
    define host{
        use           oracle
        contact_groups     admins
        host_name        myHostName
        address         myHostAddr
        icon_set        database
        realm          myRealm1
        _databases       TESTDB
        register        1
        }
    [glow=red,2,300]/usr/local/shinken/etc/packs/databases/oracle/templates.cfg[/glow]
    Code:
    define host{
      name      oracle
      use      generic-host
      register    0
      _databases  TEST,PROD
    }
    Have you any ideas or ways to deal with that problem?
    Steel working on that issue, and will let you know how to correct it if i found something...

Not on the subject now, i just want to thank all skinken's writters. Working with Nagios since 8 years now, it's a hudge improvement step you give.
    I'm on a large qualifying deployement, it's fearly....easy ;D

Shinken project leader

Re: [RESOLVED] Oracle - ServicePack

Thanks

I try your configuration on my devel box, and it work well (I just renamed your realm to "All" so I can launch it).

I remember touched the duplicate_foreach part the last month, but I don't remember what. Can you give a try with a git version if possible?