Thread: Shinken 2.0 & SNMP Methods

Shinken 2.0 & SNMP Methods

Hi there!

I was using SNMPBooster with shinken 1.4.1 to get SNMP information directly with OID numbers (for customs printers, per example).

Is there a "new" better way to do this with Shinken 2.0 (other than with SNMP Booster) ?
    >> Because for SNMP Booster we'll need to adapt it's own module "snmp_poller.py" with a new .cfg files in the module section of Shinken 2.0 isn't ?
    (Shinken 2.0 's using .cfg files in module instead of directly used "py" modules in the "modules folder&quot

Thanks for the help

Administrator

Re: Shinken 2.0 & SNMP Methods

Hi There,

SnmpBooster has recently been overhauled. The new version can used with Shinken 1.4.x. The Defaults templates have been improved. (those coming with genDevConfig, which can be used by themselves)

SnmpBooster will be there eventually for 2.0, the module will be adapted for the new structure. SnmpBooster is still the most efficient way known to get large amounts of SNMP data into Shinken.

As for the ini files that are used will NOT be converted to Nagios .cfg format. Having two different formats is a little annoying, but the INI format is standard and has no dependency on the Shinken object loading code. Could the format be Nagios-like(Which is already similar to INI), sure, but backend maintenance would be much heavier with more potential for bugs.

SnmpBooster has beeb much improved, I think you will be happy with the new version.
    Some highlights:
    • [li]Module is now split, one for each daemon (Arbiter, Scheduler and Poller).[/li]
      [li]Improved error messages, better coverage, indicates which daemon function had a problem[/li]
      [li]More intelligent GetBulk handling, now uses the instance to backup the first OID tree level (some corner cases were failing)[/li]
      [li]Bug fixes to trigger handling[/li]
      [li]More inline documentation[/li]

SNMP V1,v2c get/get-next will probably happen during the summer.

Cheers,

xkilian

Thank you xkilian

Could you advice me a nice tuto for Shinken 2.0 & SNMP Booster ?

The one on shinken-monitoring is a bit confusing due to the new shinken architecture (again this story about modules containing .cfg or .py) at few steps

pe: one on the first, when it's needed to copy the snmp_poller.py inside modules folder

thanks

Administrator

For the 2.0 version, the pack you are creating for your printers is a good solution.

You probably do not have hundreds of these printers to monitor.

Setting up SnmpBooster is worth it for big deployments, becauses it is more efficient in processing and it reduces the number of services. Its configuration can also managed by genDevConfig.

The documentation will be updated for 2.0, it is not currently a priority. Right now it is getting it 100% stable, documentation and working under the latest 1.4.x. I have a big deployment next week, hopefully things will be nice and smooth.

Will keep you posted on when the doc and module gets migrated to 2.x.

Cheers,

xkilian

Ok,

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by xkilian View Post
    Hi There,

SnmpBooster has recently been overhauled. The new version can used with Shinken 1.4.x. The Defaults templates have been improved. (those coming with genDevConfig, which can be used by themselves)

SnmpBooster will be there eventually for 2.0, the module will be adapted for the new structure. SnmpBooster is still the most efficient way known to get large amounts of SNMP data into Shinken.
    Hi,

any news about this? I'm using shinken 2.2 and would like to use the snmpbooster as a lot of my monitoring already use snmp. I tried to install it following the documentation, but didnt passed the genDevConfig step. I got this while trying to run it:

Code:
    /home/shinken/genDevConfig# ./util/genDevConfig -c "community"  mydevice
    Subroutine SNMP_Session::pack_sockaddr_in6 redefined at /usr/share/perl/5.14/Exporter.pm line 67.
     at /usr/local/share/perl/5.14.2/SNMP_Session.pm line 149
    Subroutine SNMP_Session::unpack_sockaddr_in6 redefined at /usr/share/perl/5.14/Exporter.pm line 67.
    Subroutine SNMP_Session::sockaddr_in6 redefined at /usr/share/perl/5.14/Exporter.pm line 67.
    Subroutine SNMPv1_Session::pack_sockaddr_in6 redefined at /usr/share/perl/5.14/Exporter.pm line 67.
     at /usr/local/share/perl/5.14.2/SNMP_Session.pm line 608
    Subroutine SNMPv1_Session::unpack_sockaddr_in6 redefined at /usr/share/perl/5.14/Exporter.pm line 67.
    Subroutine SNMPv1_Session::sockaddr_in6 redefined at /usr/share/perl/5.14/Exporter.pm line 67.

Administrator
    Just to close off this thread. SnmpBooster is available for Shinken 2.x. It is a module you install with Shinken like any other module.

Works like a charm. There are no known bugs, documentation is updated, genDevConfig works with it and snmpbooster ini validation and messages in the Shinken log are very clear. (In as much as SNMP is clear. ;-)

Cheers,

xkilian

Hi,

Where can I download SnmpBooster for Shinken 2.4 for offline installation? I haven't fount it on shinken.io.

Thanks,

tandrez