Thread: How to really configure shinken High Availability

sp88

How to really configure shinken High Availability

Hi,

Am quite new to shinken...I have tried to configure shinken high availability. By shinken high availability i mean i need the following(correct me if am wrong in the way i perceived.)..

1. One server should monitor all the hosts at one time...
    2. If something happens to the first server, the other should come online..
    3. Also only one web interface should be available at one time (if the primary goes down the second web interface should come online...)
    4. Alert mails also from one server..

What i did so far...

There are two servers in the same network. One server has the below configuration(aprt from the normal receiver-1, broker-1, arbiter-1 etc etc...) inside the shinken-specific.cfg file...

define poller{
    poller_name poller-spare
    address 10.1.128.23
    port 7771
    spare 1
    }

define reactionner{
    reactionner_name reactionner-spare
    address 10.1.128.23
    port 7769
    spare 1
    }

define broker{
    broker_name broker-spare
    address 10.1.128.23
    port 7772
    spare 1
    modules Simple-log,Livestatus
    }

define arbiter{
    arbiter_name arbiter-spare
    address 10.1.128.23
    host_name shinken1
    port 7770
    spare 1
    }

And the other server only have the default shinken-specif configuration with its own host-name/ip address(with arbiter-1, broker-1, poller-1 etc etc).

Kindly please let me know how to get this done...Or correct me if am doing something wrong conceptually...

Regards

Re: How to really configure shinken High Availability

The config is correct, but you need to verify that you define your spare poller, reactionner, broker, arbiter daemon exactly like the non-spare ones, except the address and host_name part in the arbiter of course.

I don't understand why you try to keep the spare shinken-specific.cfg different from your shinken-specific.cfg on your non-spare.

Just sync those two config files, so that the master knows there is a slave and that the slave can start.

Also see this mail from naparuba http://sourceforge.net/p/shinken/mai...sage/28022000/

You should also tweak the data_timeout, timeout and check_attempts of your master daemons, otherwise it would take 360 seconds for the slave to take over.

If you use livestatus for your web interface then the livestatus port will only be available on the active master.